Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms make a great appetizer or make them for a fun main course at home!
photo by alexa627
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, stems removed (about 1-inch in diameter)
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
6 strips bacon, cooked until crisp, drained on paper towels and crumbled
- Cook the bacon until crisp, remove to paper towels to cool, then crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings and sauté the onion for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese and mayo until smooth. Add the onion, cheddar and bacon; stir until blended and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms in a single layer. You may have to do this step in batches. Cook until they soften and give off some of their liquid. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the filling and arrange on a rack in a baking dish.
- Preheat the broiler and broil until the filling is bubbling. Serve immediately.
This is a very fun appetizer – Stuffed Mushrooms with Goat Cheese and Herbs!
photo by little blue hen
1 pound of baby portabella mushrooms, stemmed
½ pound fresh goat cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ cup mixed fresh herbs: basil, parsley, dill and chives
1 teaspoon thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. and clean the mushrooms. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Crumble the goat cheese and mix with the sour cream. Stir in the garlic and herbs. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the cheese mixture and place on the baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool and serve hot or at room temperature.