Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms make a great appetizer or make them for a fun main course at home!
photo by alexa627
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, stems removed (about 1-inch in diameter)
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
6 strips bacon, cooked until crisp, drained on paper towels and crumbled
- Cook the bacon until crisp, remove to paper towels to cool, then crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings and sauté the onion for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
- In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese and mayo until smooth. Add the onion, cheddar and bacon; stir until blended and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms in a single layer. You may have to do this step in batches. Cook until they soften and give off some of their liquid. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the filling and arrange on a rack in a baking dish.
- Preheat the broiler and broil until the filling is bubbling. Serve immediately.